1910 Arbroath Picture Hall, James Street, is purchased by Geo. Joss Melvin & will become 'Melvin's Picture Palace'.
1910 A steam car, built by Douglas Fraser & sons is running in the town.
1910 Alexander Ruxton gifts a fountain to Arbroath. Placed in Kirk Square, it's later moved to Edradour Gdns.
1911 (Feb 13) The Arbroath Picture Pavilion & Skating Rink Co. Ltd., having bought the McDonald Park skating rink & converted it into a 900 seat cinema, open for business, skating still being catered for. It becomes known as The Rink. 1911 The population is 22,730.
1911 Kings Drive's entrance pillars are erected. ( ?? )
1911 A building is erected at the corner of Church St., bearing a representation of the Bell Rock Lighthouse.
1911 78 High Street (originally the Sherriff's Court House) is now the premises of John Lamb, butcher.
1911 George Joss Melvin (see 1910) & his wife (maiden name Eliza Spence) both die this year. Their son is G.S. Melvin who will become a comedian & pantomime dame. His daughter in turn will be Ruby Melvin, singer & actress. (See 1967)
1911 Tom Clarke & Sons are established at 274 High Street.
1911 (Sep) The skating rink section of McDonald Park's Cinema /Skating complex is dismantled.
1911 (Sep) Lifeboat bowman Peter Swankie is killed after falling beneath the vessel as it is being taken to the slipway to be launched on service.
1911 (Dec 25) The present Railway Station, set back off the road to allow for a taxi rank, opens.
1912 (Mar 7) Harry Lawrence, the editor's father, is born in Church Street, Arbroath. He'll work in a foundry, a laundry, a graveyard, a steel mill and a commercial vehicle assembly plant. He dies in Glasgow in 1995, aged 82.
1912 (Jul 8) The Olympia Cinema is opened in the former Corn Exchange.
1912 John & Margaret Pert open their house furnishing business in Panmure Street. Directly opposite, on the corner of Park Street, stands Doo's Hall, used as a theatre.
1913 'Melvin's Picture Palace' becomes the 'Palace'.
1913 Seamus McGaraigh (Arbroath's James Carr McDonald) & his supporters walk out of the Dundee Mod in protest that 'God Save The King' had been written as an anti Scottish dirge, and that no self respecting Scot should sing it's words.
1914 (Mar 8) Police Inspector John Soutar Suttie, aged 48, of the Arbroath Burgh Police, dies suddenly of a cerebral haemorrhage.
1914 The 'Palace' in James Street, originally the Inverbrothock Free Church (7 Gables), is demolished.
1914 The Rt. Hon. the first Earl of Inchcape (James Lyle McKay) is pivotal in arranging the amalgamation of the British India Steam Navigation Co. & P. & O.
1914 David Greig, saddler, retires after being in that business for over 50 years. His saddler's shop at 155 High Street is now taken over by Thomas Watt.
1914 McDonald Park's 'Pavilion' cinema becomes the 'Pavilion Theatre'.
1914 Arbroath Battery is mobilised and helps fight in most of the ensuing famous battles. (Source: M.O.D.).
1914 (Nov 9) The 'New Palace', James Street, raised on the site of the demolished building, opens.
1915 Robert R. Spink (born in Auchmithie) opens his fish merchant business in Seagate.
1915 Violet Jacob of Montrose writes the classic poem 'I Saw The Wild Geese Flee'. (See 1984).
1915 (Jun) The Arbroath High School Magazine includes a roll of honour - Killed in action: 2nd Lt J F Webster, Sgt G E Miller, Pte Horatio Savege, Pte John M Dundas & Pte Norman J A Smith. The Webster Hall will be named in honour of 2nd Lt Webster.
1915 (Sep 18) The 'Pavilion Theatre', McDonald Park closes, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders being billetted there.
1915 (Sep 22) The Public Baths open in Marketgate.
1915 (Oct 28) HMS Argyll founders on the Bell Rock & is destroyed, only the six inch guns being salvaged.
1916 'The New Palace', James Street, is sold to JB Milne.
1916 Although authorised in 1900, a new building at Arbroath Infirmary to cope with the increased number of patients
is not constructed until this year, at a cost of £25,000.
1916 Arbroath's Christina Anderson meets Canadian Robert Troup. They will marry at the Victoria Cafe in Millgate on Oct. 5 1917 & leave for Canada at the end of the war. (See 1836 & 2007).
1917 'The New Palace', James St., bought by JB Milne last year, is absorbed into SCVT.
1917 The Russian revolution has caused flax supplies from the Baltic to become almost unobtainable.
1918 (Jan 28) Paddy, the Regimental Mascot of the Highland Cycling Battalion, dies. A headstone is erected & the wee dog is buried in McDonald Park. Even after WW2, Park Superintendent Mr Clyde continues to tend the grave & lay poppy wreaths.
1918 The Arbroath fishing boat 'Maggie Smith' hits a mine while sailing to fish off the Bell Rock & all the crew are lost. The German submarine VC49 is suspected of laying the mines.
1918 (Jun) Arbroath's Lt Patrick Wright Anderson, Royal Flying Corps ( & previously Black Watch), is badly injured when his DH4 aircraft is attacked over Flanders. Despite medical treatment he will die in Arbroath Infirmary on the 2nd Nov 1921.
1918 The family of Joseph Webster, who has died aged 21 on the 30th of October 1914 in military service in Flanders, have gifted the Public Hall to the people of Arbroath. It becomes known as the Webster Memorial Hall.
1919 Provost Archibald Craig Anderson serves the town until 1925.
1919 The Star fish & chip shop opens at 6 Millgate Loan.
1919 Arbroath born Ned Doig, goalkeeper extraordinary, dies in Liverpool aged 53, of the Spanish Flu Epidemic.
1919 Parkhouse School's seven year olds (approx) pose for their school photograph. It also contains the earliest image of the editor's father, second back row, far right. Click here: A Police Station will open at this location in 1992.
1919 ' Arbroath Abbey & Other Poems ' by W.M. Watt, a prisoner of war, is published by Erskine Macdonald, London.
'around WW1 Robertson's newsagents trade from 2-4 Westport. New owners will retain the name beyond 2000.
Gent's bike by A.S. Valentine
The shoe repairing 'lasts' of David Lawrence ( the editor's grandfather ) who was employed in this decade by the Co-op at the corner of High Street & Church Street
A century on, the eye perhaps only registers the lady's dress as dating this Guthrie Port photograph to 1915