1840 Brothock Bridge is built, amongst claims it is widest in the world.
1840 (approx) Alex. Stephen loses the northern part of his yard (now the 2006 harbour development) to a rail link between the Forfar & Dundee railways.
1840 Old St Mary's Episcopal Church off High Street is enlarged.
1840 Robert Gammage, a Chartist from Northampton, promoting political & social reform, speaks at Arbroath, but is 'taken ill on the platform & has to leave off'. He proceeds up the east coast to Montrose & beyond.
1840 'Arbroath Abbey From The West', a depiction of Arbroath as it was in 1740, is painted by Clarkson Stanfield :
1840 Houses are built on Lordburn, opposite where the future Abbeygate Shopping Centre will rise.
1840-43 Shipbuilders Alex. Stephen & Sons operate next to the Signal Tower.
1841 Parish Registers start.
1841 Clarkson Stanfield's watercolour (see 1840) is engraved for the Abbotsford Edition of Scott's Waverley novels.
1841 Patrick Chalmers is MP for the Angus Burghs.
1841 Abbey School opens at Abbey Green. Prior to this date a Chapel of Ease stood on the site.
1841 Dove's charity fund is founded for the education of native-born boys of poor parentage.
1841 The Town Council request of Parliament that the variety of names by which the town is referred to is inconvenient, may lead to mistakes & ask that the name 'Arbroath', by which the burgh is commonly known, be legalised & might be made to include 'Aberbrothock' & 'Aberbrothwick'.
1841 Alexander Shanks opens new premises in Dens Road. A showroom & office in London follows.
1841 / 2 The Burgh Police Office & jail is built on the corner of Market Place & Gravesend. One of the original cell doors will be displayed until 2007 in 'Visit Scotland's' information office on the same site.
1841 Alex. Stephen drags the barque 'Leipzig' up the slipway, cuts the vessel in half then adds 13'0" to it's length, repeating a feat his father had accomplished.
1841 (-1846) £58,000 is spent on improvement of the old harbour and construction of the new harbour.
1842 (Feb 7) John Barrow produces an updated version of John Wood's 1822 plan of Arbroath.
1842 The Arbroath Guide, 'a liberal Saturday paper', begins publication at 19 Market Place. It's offices will remain here until 1978.
1842 19 spinning mills are now in the town, this year yielding 7,000 tons, value 300,000 pounds. Linen weavers number 732 & canvas weavers 450.
1842 Fine marble from Carmyllie Quarries is shipped from Arbroath to floor Koln Cathedral.
1842 Alexander Shanks patents the first lawnmower (pony-pulled) which effectively clears clippings. The first trial takes place when Wm.F. Lindsay Carnegie of Boysack orders one for his estate. Budding had invented an inferior machine in 1831.
1842 (Sept 7) The Arbroath brig 'Caledonia' is wrecked off the north Cornwall coast. Click here :
1842 (Oct) Dr. David Arrot composes a poem of thanks to Rev. R. S. Hawker of Morwenstow, Cornwall, on behalf of a community grieving the loss of Captain & crew of the brig, 'Caledonia'.
1842 (Dec) Arbroath Abbey comes into the ownership of H.M. Commissioners of Woods, Forests, Land Revenue, Works & Buildings.
1843 Patrick Allan, artist, marries Elizabeth Fraser, daughter of Major John Fraser the Laird of Hospitalfield Estate. After adding Fraser to his name by royal licence, he will come to own Hospitalfield House.
1843 A public meeting is held to discuss the building of a hospital in the town.
1843 Capt David Taylor dies.
1843 David Greig is born. He will become a saddler, with premises at 155 High Street from at least 1895 to his retirement in 1914 when he is described as 'having been in the business for over half a century'.
1843 John Reid dies aged 90. He was the first Principal Light Keeper at the Bell Rock Lighthouse.
1843 James Keith (founder of what will become Keith & Blackman, heating & ventilating engineers) dies aged only 43.
His son, 21 year old George Keith, takes over the business and about this time marries Hannah Whanner.
1843 The town's Museum is founded.
1843 Alexander Brown writes a paper on the extraordinary high tide affecting the east coast this year.
1843 The 'Disruption' of this year, as more than 400 ministers leave the Chuch of Scotland, will lead to the opening of 'Free' Churches.
1844 The house named 'Panmure' in Hill Street is built 'before this date'. It will be Masonic Lodge Panmure (No. 299).
1844 The Educational Insitution opens.
1844 Main alterations are being made to the Town Buildings.
1844 The Arbroath Bank at 69-71 High Street is taken over by the Commercial Bank of Scotland.
1844-1848 Shipbuilders Geo. Dickie jnr. & Thos Reidman operate between the Signal Tower & the harbour.
1844 approx (- 1853) Shipbuilders Dickie & Reidman operate next to harbour.
1844-1853 Shipbuilder Wm. Anderson operates between Sig.Tower & harbour.
1845 (Jun 12) Arbroath Infirmary opens.
1845 Alexander Shanks dies.
1845 (Nov 9) Ladyloan Free Church opens on nicknamed 'Mount Zion Brae', a name becoming official in 1890.
1845-57 Shipbuilder William Stephen junior operates next to the Signal Tower.
1846 (Feb 12) In Arbroath, Frederick Douglass delivers a strong anti-slavery address, "The Free Church Connection
with the Slave Church".
1846 Inverbrothock Free Church (known as 'the seven gables') is built in James Street.
1846 John Brodie is born in Selkirk. He will be the founder of the Arbroath Herald.
1846 This year, 731 laden vessels arrive at Arbroath harbour, 32 from the colonies or foreign ports.
(Note: Another source states 599 dock, 56 from foreign ports-mainly Baltic-the rest from coastal trade. Bark, flax, hemp,
oak / fir timber and guano are unloaded at Arbroath).
1846 Arbroath has 89 registered vessels.
1847 (Apr 3) At a meeting of the Committee of the Bannatyne Club held at Edinburgh in the Hall of the Antiquarian Society, it is resolved " that the Registrum Vetus de Aberbrothoc as it exists in the smaller volume preserved in the Library of the Faculty of Advocates, and in the earlier manuscript lately discovered at Ethie, with such Charters, either from the other records of the Abbey, or from originals still extant, as fall within it's period, be now printed for the Members of the Club, under the joint superintendence of Mr. Innes and Mr. Chalmers of Auldbar; and that a limited impression upon a different paper, not to exceed One Hundred Copies, be provided for Subscribers, upon the terms that have been arranged with the Committee of the Club ". ( extracted from the Minutes, David Laing, Secretary )
1847 Arbroath boatbuilder --- Johnston builds the schooner 'Wave' (98/119 tons). It will sail from Dundee to Melbourne, Aus., arriving there on the 7th July 1854, to spend the rest of it's days in the SE Australian coastal trade. A Newcastle (Australia) couple will own, in 2010, a bronze artifact from the vessel, recovered from the local harbour. It carries the name 'Wave' & 'Arbroath' and also an insignia comprising a central grille, chains of 6 links & topped by a small wreath.*
1847 The working day is cut to 10 hours. (* Source: Patrick Ahern)
1848 (Feb 1) The Arbroath & Dundee Joint Railway Station near the Signal Tower closes, the buildings becoming dwelling houses ( not demolished until 1956). Catherine St. Station. also closes, replaced by a temporary wooden Keptie St Station.
1848 (Feb 13) St Thomas of Canterbury Roman Catholic Church opens.
1848 The new Dundee & Arbroath railway line is commenced, and laid in stages until 1857.
1848 Railway line to Montrose opens.
1848 (Jul) Arbroath Infirmary becomes part of the East Regional Health Board.
1848 'Liber S. Thomas de Aberbrothoc' 1178-1329' , edited by Cosmo Innes
& P. Chalmers for the Bannatyne Club, is printed. (See 1847).
1849 David Corsar's Spring Garden Factory (see map, left) is opened on
Lindsay Street, becoming Arbroath's first fully operational power-loom factory.
1849 (Jun) The 'Rebecca', under Capt Alex Ramsay, leaves Arbroath
for Elsinore (Helsingor) in Denmark. In that town crewman
Robert Bruce Allan will be buried in St Olaf's Churchyard.
1849 (July 6) George Scott Railton, son of Wesleyan missionaries & one of
the founder leaders of the Salvation Army, is born in the manse of the Methodist Church, Ponderlaw.
1849 Depending on demand, Arbroath's mills this year are employing between 3,700 & 5,000 people.
1849 The earliest record of Ladyloan School. It will close as a school in 1974, but the building will remain.
1849 Arbroath Town Mission is founded.
1849-1853 Shipbuilders Wm. Reid & Thos. Reidman operate between the Signal Tower & the harbour.
1849 James Anderson is born. He will be a flax merchant in Arbroath & dies in 1918.
1840 - 1849
St Thomas's Church from the
( an 1861
Arbroath Presbyterian Group 1843 - 1847
Mount Zion Brae - still not
officially named on this 1859 map
The port of Helsingor, Denmark around 1850
Clarkson Stanfield's 1840
of a 1740 Arbroath
1847 trades & professions
1846 trades & professions
Angus & Mearns Directory - on the page, click on 'View The Book' :